Drones belonging to the Iranian-aligned Houthi movement on January 10 attacked a Yemeni government military parade in the southern province of Lahaj, killing several people, Saudi and Houthi media reported.
Footage broadcast by Yemen TV shows the moment the blast hit a podium where senior officers were sitting.
The attack comes as the United Nations tries to get peace talks going between the Houthis who control northern Yemen and the Saudi-backed government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi by overseeing a limited ceasefire in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah.
The parade was taking place inside a military base in al-Anad district when an explosion rocked the area. Eyewitnesses said high-ranking officers including Yemen’s deputy chief of staff had been wounded.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV said five people had been killed and several injured. Houthi Al-Masirah TV said the attack had been aimed at “the leadership of the invaders.”
It was unclear if officers were present from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, leaders of a Sunni Muslim Arab coalition that intervened in Yemen in 2015 to try to restore Hadi’s government, which had been ousted from the capital Sanaa in 2014.
For more info, please go to
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE:
Like Global News on Facebook HERE:
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: